A little Petit Gateau? Coffee and cake is a lovely European tradition that we should embrace more, especially when you live within walking distance of the lovely Bibelot. Little sister to Chez Dre, when they realised there was a whole heap of customers coming in just for the desserts they cleverly set up a separate café and extended their offering with glass cabinets filled with beautiful cokes of all colours and flavours plus macarons, biscuits, ice cream, bon bons and their own chocolate range .
There are plenty of tables inside and out and the do table service so all you have to do is choose what delectable treat you want….
- Blackcurrant & Vanilla Dome with vanilla mousse, blackcurrant compote, blackcurrant crème, vanilla sponge, almond-vanilla sablé
- ‘Apple Pie’ & Caramel Bar with green apple mousse, caramel crémeux, apple compote, cinnamon pain de gênes, galette au beurre
- Green Tea-Madarin Dome with green tea ‘matcha’ mousse, mandarin gelée, yuzu crème, soft chocolate biscuit, chocolate feuilletine crunch
- Guava & Strawberry ‘Fraisier’ – white chocolate mousse, biscuit cuillière, native pepper financier, feuilletine crunch, strawberry-guava mousse
- Mango, Yuzu & Coconut Dome with mango mousse, caramelised coconut crème, yuzu crémeux, coconut dacquoise, salted peanut streusel
- Caramel Tart with caramel mousse, chocolate crémeux, salted caramel crème, peanut-cocao nib tuile, chocolate ganache, chocolate crumb, almond sablé
- Chocolate-Passionfruit Stone with passionfruit mousse, passionfruit gelée, chocolate mousse, passionfruit crème, sesame tuile, soft chocolate biscuit, caramelised cocoa nibs
- Hazelnut-Praline Crunch with hazelnut dacquoise, gianduja mousse, chocolate crémeux, praline crunch, chocolate chantilly, hazelnut & chocolate crumble
- Chocolate, Coffee & Kahlúa Liquor with milk chocolate mousse, coffee crémeux, mascarpone-khalúa chantilly, chocolate ganache, coffee crunch, khalúa sponge
- Triple Chocolate Cheesecake with rich chocolate cream cheese mousse, white chocolate chantilly, milk chocolate bavaroise, chocolate crumb
WOW – how did you go choosing?!?!
We negotiated for a fair while before settling on the Green Tea-Madarin Dome with green tea ‘matcha’ mousse, mandarin gelée, yuzu crème, soft chocolate biscuit, chocolate feuilletine crunch. So much goes into one little cake! Loved the green tea and mandarin flavours, just zesty and vibrant and wonderful creaminess that was quite light.
The Triple Chocolate Cheesecake with rich chocolate cream cheese mousse, white chocolate chantilly, milk chocolate bavaroise, chocolate crumb was hubby’s choice and it was a chocolate overload, best to break up with my nice fruity cake, would be perfect with a glass of bubbles!!
My waistline can’t afford to stop by too often but we really are spoilt to have such a gorgeous shop just around the corner.
PREVIOUSLY VISITED 21 JANUARY 2016
I have been craving coffee and cake ever since we went to opening night at Bibelot but it is proving to be just a popular as it’s sister café Chez Dre and there has barely been a free seat in the house on a weekend! But we are up and about early on a Sunday, so early they are just setting up the tables outside and we are both in the mood for a little something in the sunshine. Bibelot, pronounced bib-loh – means a small object of curiosity, beauty or desire and they have quite a few!
Glass boxes of glistening domes, bright colours, crisp pastry and wobbling mousse tempt you in calling “Eat me, go on treat yourself!!” Fortunately, even on the massive January health plan I have my glamourous side kick to eat most of the treats and I can modestly nibble on the end and savour my decaf long black!
There is so much to choose from, I was tempted with the tasting boards, if we were both on form we would have smashed it but side kick is only one man and he can only take so much! So choose from Salted Butter Caramel Éclair with caramel crème patissiere, roasted walnuts and caramel chantilly OR Blueberry and Lemon Cheesecake with blueberry compote, speculoos-praline biscuit, vanilla sponge, lemon confit and blueberry cream cheese mousse! And many many many more! But you get the idea!
Our one little tweeny cake for our treat was the beautiful Black Forest Éclair with caramel choux, cherry compote, vanilla bavaroise, crumble, chocolate crème and cherry Chantilly… WOW! There is so much work that goes into creating all of these beautiful works of art. I had a little nibble and it wasn’t overly sweet with the rich cherries and chocolate – it was very lovely and was perfect with my coffee in the sun.
We will definitely be back for more cake very soon, when we can both be a little more indulgent! Plus did I mention they do ice cream……………..